Thursday, November 20, 2008

Every girl just wants a good pair of heels

Us outdoorsy girls don't often get an opportunity to dress up. Now and then we are lured into thinking that a nice boy is going to take us out to a fancy date, so we go to the nines - at least for us. A new layer of nail polish laqcured over the old, legs raw from a fresh shave, and a new tube of mascara cracked open and layered on.

Inevitably, dream boy shows up in Chaco's and a clean-ish pair of Carhartts, and you're going to Applebee's.

I'm lucky in that when I told the boy that we were going out tonight, and by going out I meant GOING OUT; his first instinct was to grab the khakis and a tie. Granted, the pants needed pressing and the tie was only so-so, but it's the effort that counts.

Of course, my own legs hadn't been shaved in a while - hey, it's winter!- so it was more like mowing a football field in august than shaving legs. An hour later I emerged from the shower, bloody and bruised having long abandoned any thought of attacking my armpits.

Digging out a dress with sleeves that wouldn't show the donut-a-day diet I've been on, I threw on a quick layer of polish that matched my gorgeous new heels. Yup, Ms. Rock-climber-don't-like-to-wash is raving about a pair of heels. I got them for $29.99 at Kohls, a fortune yet a deal all at the same time. The last time I spend over $25 on shoe's was on a pair of ice boots.

These leather, peep-toed beauties will be painful. They will give me a blister, and I will (probably) sprain my ankle tonight. But, for the five minutes of glory when I walk in the room, when people will turn their heads and say, "Is that who I think it is?", it will all be worth it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you have a such a great style of writing, write a book, I'd buy it! love Fairy xx